Taking care of filled gold jewellery
By taking proper care of gold-plated jewellery, you can extend its life and keep it bright and full of Bling.
Here are some steps to take:
- Keep gold filled jewellery away from chemicals, oils and makeup. It’s a good idea to always put on your plated jewellery last, after applying makeup, hairspray and perfumes. When doing chores, take off your jewellery as the chemicals in soaps, detergents and cleaners can impact the plating.
- It’s a good idea to keep your hands clean when handling jewellery so try to wash them before putting on and taking off your jewellery.
- Don’t expose gold filled jewellery to chlorinated or salty water. This means taking off the jewellery before swimming in pools, hot tubs or the sea.
- Body oils and sweat can impact gold plating. To counter this, wipe the jewellery down or clean it frequently to get rid of these pollutants.
- Cleaning your jewellery regularly is important to prolong its life. Use a mild liquid soap or a professional jewellery cleaning solution and warm water when doing this. Avoid any harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners. Avoid brushing or rubbing the plated jewellery, as this can make it flake, exposing the metal below.
- Keep gold filled jewellery from rubbing and friction as this will cause the piece to wear down quickly and to flake off. This can happen when you layer jewellery and they rub against each other. It’s best to wear the piece of jewellery by itself.